Friday, August 29, 2014

Metric Olympics and Car Baked S'Mores

We have now completed our first full week!  It was good to get back into the routine of school and then have a three day weekend to regroup and get ready to go again.  I am always glad when we pass Labor Day and settle into the schedule for the year.  It usually takes a little bit before everyone gets moving in the right direction.  Because of this, I was not able to get out into the classrooms as much as I would have liked. By the end of the week, however, I was able to catch some cool things going on!

Mrs. Buck's Fifth Grade Science students took over the hallway for their annual Metric Olympics.  A couple of the events that I saw them competing in were the Straw Javelin and the Cotton Ball Toss.  This lesson is designed to get the students excited about measurement.  Judging by the engagement of the kids and the competitive conversations, I think it was a hit!  It looks like next week they will be finishing up and having their medals ceremony.  Way to go Mrs. Buck and the Fifth Grade Science classes!

I also heard that the second grade students were baking S'mores in a car as a science experiment. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm this because I did not make it in to sample one, but I am sure they were excellent!  For more information on this, check with Mr. Fields or Mrs. Forsyth to see how baking in a car works.

Next week is a four day week as we have Monday off.  I hope everyone has a restful Labor Day weekend and is ready to go on Tuesday!

See you soon!

Mr. Cunningham


No comments:

Post a Comment